On Mar 24, 06 10:18:34 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The SUSE Linux OSS version is stated to only contain Open Source Software,
> if this definition is to differ from the widely accepted principles
> defined by the OSI or FSF then it would at least require a clear statement
> as to what OSS does mean in the context of SUSE.

We started with the OSI definition, because we felt, that it is a good
definition. But it is still up to us, to define what we understand by Open
Source. Perhaps OSI missed something, that we like to emphasize or
whatever... No. I haven't heared any good arguments for amending the OSI
definition.

My suggestion:
- Let us keep our OSS definition. Pine was its first test, others will
  come and we will gain more experience in judging things.
- Let us move pine to CD6 for now.
- I'll raise the issue with pine upstream and we will hopefully have their
  view of the issue here too.

> > So the question is, is the 6th non-OSS-CD defined from a OSI-compliant
> > perspective, then move pine there.
>
> Indeed, either a special definition of OSS for SUSE which is lenient
> enough to include pine ...

no, no, please not.
Let us stay with a sharp and cripsy definition that has general acceptance.
It is my understanding that CD6 is the catch-all medium for non-
OSI-compliant software that *some people* would like to see with SuSE
Linux.

> Another possibility is that the pine/pico licence could be changed, but
> this seems highly improbable given that Debian had this discussion years
> ago.

Looking into that too.
You don't want to discourage me that early, do you? :-)

        cheers,
                Jw.

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green! __/ _=======.=======_