On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 01:28:41AM +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> From a technical point-of-view, this mail would belong to
> opensuse-packaging, but I'd like to address a more general problem,
> which is why I post here.
>

> I would really like to have an explanation: why is it that other
> distributions (e.g. Fedora and Ubuntu) already have packages for (at
> least) GNOME 2.14 but none are provided for SUSE Linux ?
> GNOME supplementary still ships 2.12.

I guess you can expect them soon.

Factory development was opened a week ago and I guess you can
expect also updated GNOME packages soon, both in Factory
and supplementary.

(supplementary is in regards to KDE/GNOME usually kept in sync
with the Factory versions, to avoid the double integration work(.

> And now, the "general problem": I just don't see ex-Ximian people
> involved into openSUSE at all.

Well, lets list some of the most visible for 10.1 development:

Garry Ekker and Stanislav Brabec, GNOME packagers.
Robert Love, NetworkManager... You like it in 10.1, right?
Larry Ewing, f-spot ... working nicely.
Aaron Bockover, banshee ... working nicely and greatly enhanced for 10.1.
Jeffrey Steadfast, gnome-volume-manager ... greatly enhanced for 10.1.
Michael Meeks, OpenOffice_org ... nuff said.
Joe Shaw, beagle.
... and more that I forgot.

All of them contributed to 10.1, answered bugreports, etc etc,
so they are definitely involved in openSUSE.

> Do they actually know that their employer has its own distribution
> called SUSE Linux ?

Yes.

> Miguel de Icaza is leading GNOME AFAIK, and Novell employs quite a lot
> of GNOME developers.. so... where are the SUSE Linux packages ?

Miguel is more in care of Mono.
Nat is in care of the Desktop, focusing on the SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop.

> This is really ridiculous.

This is trollbait.

> Try it yourself: spend some time on IRC in #suse or #opensuse and
> explain to some folks why SUSE Linux, the distribution owned by the
> company that has a lot of GNOME developers and even the GNOME lead on
> its payroll, does not provide up-to-date GNOME packages.

The answer is mostly because we focused and still focus on delivering
10.1 and SLE 10 as _stable_ product, and openSUSE supplementary and
factory is of lower priority now.

With the openSUSE buildservice you will likely no longer dependend on
us providing the latest GNOME.

Ciao, Marcus