houghi wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:50:23PM +0200, Harry ten Berge wrote:
>
>> Not to be cynical, but if it's not new, why doesn't it work properly?
>>

> That already has been explained and not only once.
>

>> And, what I really can't understand, is the ignorance of the impact that
>> the whole issue will have on the
>> very good reputation that SUSE had in the past.
>>

> What ignorance? People are awrae of the impact. The question is what we as
> a community can do to explain people what is happening and what is been
> done to solve it. (this is openSUSE, right?)
>
> This is what I do
> 1) Explain what the problem is
> 2) Explain what the solution is for now
> 3) Explain what is being done to solve the issue.
>
> It is as if a kid fell in the water and everybody is standing at the side
> saying how terrible it is and all the time the kid is drowning. So instead
> of standing at the side, jump in, or are you (multiple people) afraid to
> get wet?

No. Seriously. I'm not afraid to get wet. But the problem is that I find
it at this stage difficult to handle your point 2 and 3.
So what is being done about it? The only thing I'm hearing so far is
that there will be an update any time soon. What is soon?

But you're right about the community thing. That's why I asked what is
wrong with smart. But that's clarified now...
Besides that, I really don't know what we can do about it in the community.

The one thing I can think of is a general discussion about package
management for 10.2. I don't mean the technical implementation,
because Novell has decided that zmd/rug is the solution. But the huge
amount of different repository types, the way you must add additional
repos.... For newbies (I've got some friends I convinced to try 10.1)
it's way to difficult. That is something we think about in the community...

Harry