houghi wrote:
> Not wanting to highjack a thread, I start a new one. People having issues
> with the wording of my standard reply, please tell me *here* what it
> should be. As I believe this is (unfortunatly) on-topic here, I won't
> reply to any personal mails concerning this subject.
>
> What else can we do then point out each time we see a technical discussion
> starting? My idea is to kill this list, as it already is lost and make a
> new one: opensuse-community.
>
> Anybody other (better) ideas?
>
> houghi

How to kill the list?
Not participating?
Someone will post and someone will answer, so list will not die unless
decision makers remove it.

IMHO, in the beginning this list was intended for community related
communication, but presence of technical questions shows that many
people think that this is the right place.

Why it works this way?
By simple logic applied in other places, SUSE Linux will be discussed on
suselinux mailing list, opensuse on opensuse mailing list. Everyone
takes that openSUSE is some different kind of SUSE linux, like Fedora
Core  is different kind of Redhat.

What I found on opensuse.org I have to talk about in opensuse (mailing
list, forum, news), not suse mailing list. Tomato forum about tomatoes,
potato about potatoes. We all use that naming schema everywhere we go,
not only in the Internet, so I can't blame people that come here with
all kind of questions.

Although I support you in your efforts to keep things organized,
something that is making perpetual confusion, as it contradicts to
common sense, should be adjusted to what most expects to be. Leave this
list to all opensuse questions, and make opensuse-chat for community
related. I bet that no one will ever try to ask how to solve technical
problem in chat forum, nor on chat list.

The name "community" is still to much like a magnet for technical
questions, because where I would go to ask if I have problem with Linux
that I obtained on opensuse.org, of course to guys that know a lot
about. Where I would look for those guys, in their community.

The name "chat" is not restrictive and allows all kinds of non-technical
discussions. If someone ask question that is not commonly understood
under chat, like how to solve the problem, anyone can send "offender" to
proper list in fast, dry, non-offending way like:
"The better place to ask about problems with SUSE Linux downloaded from
opensuse.org would be opensuse mailing list. How to subscribe to it is
explained on http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate. Have a fun."
No one will complain if people in chat forum/list don't feel ready to
answer technical stuff, even if the name tells that the guy is expert.

The distinction between openSUSE community (not SUSE community) and SUSE
Linux (not openSUSE Linux) is unusual and makes confusion from day one.
This list is loaded with threads that explain the difference, and
despite all efforts people are still using reasoning that is more common
in the net.

BTW, good example how proper naming can help, there is no many that go
to opensuse-wiki to ask for technicalities.

--
Regards,
Rajko.