BandiPat wrote:
On Saturday 19 August 2006 20:56, jim tate wrote:
[...]
Open YaST2 from your menu.  It's listed as YAST under the
System>Configuration>YaST heading.  From there, go to Network
Devices, where you'll find Modem.  Select that, it will open,
should find the modem and from there you configure the ISP and
other settings for it. If indeed it's a hardware modem, there
should be few if any problems, but again, don't forget to set the
time out to zero to eliminate the connection from terminating
early.  Once that's done, KPPP & wvdial will be set to make your
connection.  An icon in your systray, bottom right, will appear for
dialup but if not, just start kppp from the menu the first time.

Lee
I got the modem to connect with wvdial and  firefox browses..
Can't get Kppp to connect, it can't open the modem at ttyS1, the
settings in wvdial.conf and kppp are the same
but it won't pick up modem.
I can't find a dialer for the settings in Yast.

Jim

Ok, sounds like you are half way there. Do you know how to use Yast2? It's pretty easy, if you just follow the instructions. You really need to get a handle on that.

There is no modem dialer in yast2, only the setup. If you set the modem up correctly in yast2, then you'll get an icon in your systray that will automatically dial up the number you insert for your ISP in yast2 modem setup.

I don't know if there are some instructions with images somewhere to help you do this, but it sounds like you need it. Guys help him out here, anything in wiki or the SuSE help? I found something in SuSE help files for using the kppp wizard to help with images. That might help, but you still need to do your modem setup in yast2 Jim. That's a must and you're going to have to do a bit of leg work yourself, unless you can get someone to log into your machine to do it for you.

Lee

Well I thought I had it.
Everything in dialup is working fine, but the Firefox browser is having DNS lookup
problems.
Isn't that the sbcglobal.net server problem, I have tried three different access phone numbers they allow
and I still get the same problem.
This is a new dialup account and this computer/browser works fine if I connect it by SbcGlobal DSL.
But the computer isn't going to be at this location.
Wvdil.conf  DNS=1 settings.
Jim

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Idle Seconds = 300, disabling automatic reconnect.
--> Sending: ATDT9332411
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT8332411
CONNECT 49333 V42bis
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Aug 20 07:51:12 2006
--> pid of pppd: 6143
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: 0
--> pppd: 0
--> pppd: 0
--> pppd: 0
--> local  IP address 14.74.75.37
--> pppd: 0
--> remote IP address 299.69.68.92
--> pppd: 0
--> primary   DNS address 78.94.156.1
--> pppd: 0
--> secondary DNS address 78.94.157.1
--> pppd: 0
--> Script /etc/ppp/ip-up run successful
--> Default route Ok.
--> warning, can't find address for `www.suse.de`
--> warning, address lookup does not work
--> Nameserver (DNS) failure, the connection may not work.
--> Connected... Press Ctrl-C to disconnect
--> pppd: 0