Marcus Meissner wrote:

> Read Al Viros essay on this topic. (nightmare before christmas or so)

I'll google it -

> Linux worked fine without binary kernel drivers too, even in the desktop
> space. MGA G400 ruled then.

But of course! I was one of the first people to buy a 3dfx video card
back in the day - the voodoo graphix which was the earliest affordable
2d/3d cards, and the in-kernel DRI drivers worked like a champ, no
question about it.

The landscape has changed around us. Alas, 3dfx is no more, and voodoo
graphix cards are getting hard to find. The ati cards with the DRI
drivers were always a quick way to lock up the system hard, and I hear
that very little has changed on that score.

There are few viable alternatives for linux users who need good video
performance nowadays. Either you go with nvidia proprietary drivers,
which some people object to on religious grounds, but which are indeed
fast, stable drivers, or you go with ATI proprietary, which has all the
drawbacks of nvidia without the great linux support or quite the same
performance, or you go with one of the few video chipsets having full
featured OSS drivers  - at this point Intel is a promising choice, but
that will become clearer as time goes by...

Joe