into electronic streams flowing thru the cosmos On Sunday 19 November
2006 6:44 am, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 November 2006 01:28, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> >> What would happen if MS were able to coerce
> >> Novell into actually sneaking some of its IP into linux
> >> (glibc/kernel etc) only to be 'discovered' at some time convenient
> >> to MS?
> >>
> >> Mark
> >
> > That seems pretty far fetched.  Why do it so publicly?
> >

> > If you are into conspiracy theories, heres one for you:
>
> Actually I am, but unfortunately, despite 'anything said or read
> anywhere by anybody', the fact is, MS wants linux gone and nothing it
> 'intentionally' does is going to help linux or any linux distributer
> in the long run. Including Novell.
>
> > It seems more likely to me that Novell caught Microsoft
> > with some GPL code in Vista the day before it went to production
> > and the big hurry up was all about getting SOMETHING in place
> > so that Vista could ship. Then they can work to replace it via
> > normal update means later.
>
> But Novell, nor anyone else, has the access to MS code that could
> enable such a find. Unless it was something as obvious as say finding
> KDE on the desktop. This seems impossible to me.

<snip>

Novell doesn't have access, but it's possible that at least one of the
companies it does business does. Via that free peeckaboo MS gave some
of their most favoured customers and "partners" remember ? That flap
over someone mistakenly published some of the code on the web?? If such
a company had become lets say disenchanted w/ the wait looooong
promised features in Vista being dropped etc... they have a
relationship w/ Novell for it's non Linux products, probably from long
ago.. Now, they think they might try what somebody at Novell has been
telling them, linux... first only as servers, which don't fail and
don't get worms and don't do anything accept sit in their corner and
work.. So they put a small test project in place to see how much
trouble it would be to switch at least some of their desktops over...
and

well , people just will talk.. if someone at the company happens to know
about the code peak they were given and begins talking to linuxers
about the different way it works. they could just mention the slipshod
code they saw in the code they saw...

It could happen.

' I'm just sayin '

If a hurricane doesn't leave you dead; it will make you strong. Don't
try to explain , just nod your head. Breathe out breathe in, move on.