[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Saturday 25 November 2006 05:03, Basil Chupin wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Saturday 2006-11-25 at 20:47 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
Suddenly I cannot boot into 10.1 with GRUB coming up with, "Error 18" as
soon as it starts to execute on bootup.

Does anyone know what this error means and how to get grub working
correctly again?
info grub, Troubleshooting, Stage2 errors:
| 18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
|      This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block
|      address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally
|      happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for
|      (E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).

Create a separate /boot partition somewhere near the begingining of your
hard disk.
Thanks for the response but, eh, I have been dual-booting for years now
and therefore already have a 300MB boot partition at the start of the
HD, and have been running 10.1 without any problems since it came out
until this morning when the error message suddenly came up. (Just
checked with cfdisk and all the partitions are there as they are
supposed to be.)

Checked in the BIOS and all drives are correctly recognised.

Any other suggestions, please?

Thanks for your help. The results:

Can you view the menu.lst file at the grub prompt(grub>) and do the entries match your current partitioning setup?

grub> cat (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

Yes.

where (hd0,0) represents (drive#,partition#) with numbering starting at zero and pointing to the partition holding menu.lst which should be your separate boot partition assuming grub was installed there originally and not to the root partition. (hd0,0) would point to the 1st partition on the 1st drive. (hd1,3) would point to the 4th partition on the second drive, etc...

grub> geometry (hdx)

will show existing partitions(x=0,1,2 etc.) .

Geometry OK. All partitions correctly shown (both HDs, btw).

Can you boot from the grub prompt manually?

ie.
grub> root (hdx,x)

This is OK.

grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdx <other options>

This is OK.

grub> initrd /initrd

This comes up with an error, "Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory" which is a bit strange as I have 1.5GB of RAM and even right at the moment I have 58.5MB free.

grub> boot

Of course this does not happen :-) .

What does all of the above mean? Do I need a grease and oil change or a new set of spark plugs? :-)

Cheers.

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Galileo Galilei