On Saturday 25 November 2006 21:33, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> > It would be basically
> > grub, then root (hd0,8), then setup (hd0), which should find everything
> > and install it, the quit to leave grub, exit to leave the chroot, then
> > shutdown -r now to reboot and check.  HTH.
>
> One more idea, since at least once it appeared you had a problem with
> the initrd, while you are in the chroot, you could rerun the mkinitrd
> command and make sure it finishes without error.  HTH.

As Joe suggests, rerunning mkinitrd is worth a try based on what you see.
After the upgrade to beta1, I ran into a case where the upgrade somehow
removed the initrd image completely and had to recreate it.  Using the
installation disk allowed me to boot the system even with this image missing.
If you haven't already done something else that would render this next
portion nonapplicable, try the following after booting into the system w/ the
installation disk to create a new initrd image:

cd /boot
mv initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default  initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default.notworking.old
Modify "2.6.18.2-4-default" above(10.2 beta2 version) to match your current
version which you can view with the output of "uname -a".

rm initrd       (or  mv initrd initrd.notworking.old)

mkinitrd -k vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-4-default -i initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default
(your new initd-2.6.18.2-4 image should now be present)

and/or  for the xen image
mkinitrd -k vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-4-xen -i initrd-2.6.18.2-4-xen

Note that running just 'mkinitrd' with no options will create the default
image that matches your current kernel vmlinuz image.

recreate symbolic link(s)
ln -s /boot/initrd-2.6.18.x-y /boot/initrd
where "2.6.18.x-y" above is the version number you just created

Verify that the symbolic links named /boot/initrd & /boot/vmlinuz point to
matching version numbers .

# ll initrd
 initrd -> initrd-2.6.18.2-4-default

and confirm that this version matches the vmlinuz image version
# ll vmlinuz
 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-4-default

You could also check for matching versions this before rerunning mkinitrd and
if they don't match, it might be  the problem.