On Friday 15 December 2006 10:08, jdd wrote:

> a friend of mine have two western digital drives and the
> second is not always seen by openSUSE 1.2, I try to fix the
> problem :-()

As the other responder pointed out, SATA is strictly one-device-per-port
scheme. If your friend has two drives connected, then they're connected
and there's no issue about configuring the drives or jumpers or any
such old-fashioned silliness (SCSI notwithstanding...).

So if only one drive is seen by Linux, then possible reasons are:

1) One SATA port is broken.
2) One drive is broken.
3) There are disparate SATA interfaces on the mainboard and only one is
supported or recognized or properly activated.
4) There could be a BIOS configuration issue preventing one SATA port
from operating.

> thanks
> jdd

Randall Schulz