Kenneth Schneider wrote:
On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 23:22 -0800, Robert Smits wrote:
On Sunday 24 December 2006 19:39, Randall R Schulz wrote:
Joe is absolutely correct to be worried about the future viability of Linux software. Of course, it's not game over today, but if you've looked at the implications of a future where every device, every piece of hardware has to meet DRM specifications or the media will not play he's correct to be worried. I suggest you start with this article that talks about the implications http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt that Microsoft Vista has for equipment suppliers.

[pruned]

What if we come to the point that we can't buy graphics cards without Windows DRM that relegates linux users to low resolution graphics?

What if the world blows up tomorrow?

I'm not suggesting that the sky is falling today,

But that is precisely what you are doing.

Linux is used far and wide by the federal government for it to go away.

But Ken, your federal government must have used some other OS before switching to Linux which means that 'they' are a fickle lot and will switch from Linux at a drop of a hat. If they abandoned the other OS then they will abandon Linux given the appropriate excuses.

Cheers.