On Monday 25 December 2006 12:30, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Monday 2006-12-25 at 15:08 -0500, John E. Perry wrote:
> > > Incidentally, you may want to invest in an external USB hard
> > > drive. They're cheap these days and can hold a lot of data.  I've
> > > got one here that's 160 GB.  It currently contains a couple of
> > > generations of backup from two computers.
> >
> > Hmm.  I blew off the tiny, hyperexpensive usb drives a couple of
> > years ago, but haven't looked at them recently.  That could work
> > well.  I had been reading up on nfs, thinking about connecting it
> > to my laptop and using it to back up my data.  I also made a quick
> > try to get ftp working, but didn't succeed immediately, and never
> > got back to it.
>
> You need another computer to use ftp or nfs. An usb disk is just
> another "internal" disk on the system, but physically external. It is
> transparent and slower, and very handy.

There are also now storage appliances that implement NFS and / or
SMB/CIFS (accessed via Samba from Unix / Linux systems or via the
built-in file sharing from Windows systems). These are basically
stand-alone boxes with disks (often RAID arrays), a simple server
computer and an Ethernet connection.

They're becoming pretty affordable on a per-gigabyte basis. They're
really only an advantage when you've got multiple computers that need
to access a single storage repository for some reason (shared
publication or media libraries, e.g., or backups). To my knowledge, no
other form of connectivity (FireWire, USB, eSATA, or SCSI) works to
share a device among multiple computers, so you need the network and
server component if you have multiple computers accessing the storage
(and don't want to recable frequently).

I will be moving to a new home soon, and when I do, I think I'm going to
add one of these to my setup, since I now have four separate computers
all in active use whose backups I'd like to unify. Plus, I'd like to
consolidate what is at the moment a very fragmented on-line library of
technical papers, podcasts, ripped CDs, software downloads and other
miscellany.

> --
> Cheers,
>        Carlos E. R.