On Sunday 24 December 2006 14:05, Michael S. Dunsavage wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 14:35 -0500, James Knott wrote:
> > Michael S. Dunsavage wrote:
> > >
> > > I could be wrong, but I thought this had to do with copyright
> > > infringement of unlicensed music?
> >
> > Not all MP3's involve copyright infringement.  There are plenty of legal
> > ones to play.  Also as was previously ruled in a court (Betamax case?),
> > as long as there is legitimate use for a device, it cannot be banned
> > just because someone might use it illegally.
>
> I understand that. However, I was under the impression that's why mp3's
> don't play out-of-box.  Even though it's no big deal, I just had to
> update xine and amarok played no problem.

It isn't a copyright issue at all, but rather a patent one. Some idiot seems
to think you can patent algorithms and therefore some German Company -
Frauenhofer, I think - has a patent on the process to decode MPEG Layer 3
files.  IIRC, the patent expires in about four years.

A ways back, some good samaritan came out with LAME - Lame Ain't an MP3
Encoder - to decode MP3 files using a different process than Frauenhofer.
Unfortunately, there's some question in backwards countries such as the USSA
whereby the decoding algorithm is under the same patend as Frauenhofer's.

Hence, Novell doesn't want to get into any legal trouble.

That's the reason to advocate OGG over MP3 whenever possible.

--
kai

a turn signal is a statement, not a request