John E. Perry wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> John E. Perry wrote:
>>
>>> Just two problems:  first, I took others' advice again to switch from
>>> Reiser to ext3fs, but my home directory is too big to get onto cd's or
>>> dvd's, so I now have a system based on ext3fs except for the /home
>>> directory, which is still Reiser.  I'm digging through the home
>>> directories so I can divide it onto several dvds, but it's going to take
>>> a while.
>>>

>> Since you're blowing away most of the system anyway, why not just create
>> a new ext3 partition and copy /home to it.  Then, when you install the
>> new system, just mount that ext3 partition as /home.  You can use a
>> rescue CD to create the new partition and copy /home.
>>

> THat's a possibility, but I'm already nervous about monkeying with
> partitions that have valuable data on them.  And the / crash last week
> reinforces my nervousness.
>

>> Incidentally, you may want to invest in an external USB hard drive.
>> They're cheap these days and can hold a lot of data.  I've got one here
>> that's 160 GB.  It currently contains a couple of generations of backup
>> from two computers.
>>

> Hmm.  I blew off the tiny, hyperexpensive usb drives a couple of years
> ago, but haven't looked at them recently.  That could work well.  I had
> been reading up on nfs, thinking about connecting it to my laptop and
> using it to back up my data.  I also made a quick try to get ftp
> working, but didn't succeed immediately, and never got back to it.

That 160 GB drive is a regular IDE hard drive in an external case with
USB 2 interface.  Some models also support Firewire or SATA.  Hard drive
space is cheap these days and those external cases aren't very expensive
either.  One benefit is that you can back up your data and then
physically remove it from the vicinity of your computer, so should you
have a fire or other disaster, your data can be easily recovered onto a
new system.