On Mon, 2006-12-25 at 08:11 -0800, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Monday 25 December 2006 07:10, Mike McMullin wrote:
> > >
> > > In fact, I see no danger to Linux because you cannot destroy an
> > > idea. Linux is too entrenched and too important to far too many
> > > individuals and organizations, including large business concerns,
> > > distributed all over the globe to be allowed to die or be killed.
> >
> >   The quibble I have with this statement is that you missed what I
> > consider to be an essential point, i.e. unlike other OS's that
> > businesses have used in the past e.g. OS2, Linux is open source,
> > hence any set of competent programmers _can_ keep it going.  It's
> > open nature, IMO, is proof against easy demise.
>
> I don't see how your quibble is even opposed to what I wrote. I'm
> arguing that Linux is not at risk for becoming extinct.

  We're agreeing in a different vein.  You're right about the
entrenchment, but even OS2 was entrenched to a degree, (I'm thinking of
Diebold ATM's in particular), but went away and will stay that way as
it's source is locked away.  That's not how Linux is being done, so I'm
seeing a longer life span.