On 12/24/06, Randall R Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Can you define what you mean when you say:

- "enough of a critical mass"
- "to matter"
- "leverage control"
- "onramps to the information highway"
- "game over"
- "meaningful access"
- "most internet content"
- "islands"
- "hopeless, irrelevant rebellion"
- "microsoft world"

Suffice it to say I consider that paragraph to be nearly devoid of
meaning.

lol! I was thinking the same thing as I read it.

However, you may very well have a future in one of these
domains:

- Marketing communications
- Public Relations
- Generic vacuous persuasion
- Elective representative in the U.S.A.

Again, I agree with you generally Randall ... however I find myself
wondering why your responses are framed in such agressive language?
Ask the questions, push the author to be specific about what he means
... but I believe it can be done without insulting and sarcastic humor
at the posters expense.

Anyway, I don't believe that desktop acceptance has anything to do with
Linux's long-term viability. One simple example among many, the fact
that Amazon.com runs almost all of it's on-line systems using Linux, is
enough to show that Linux has a secure future.

I tend to agree that the sky is not falling, but at the same time
there may be reason to think that a window of opportunity could be
missed, at great cost to the future of linux:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

I would be interested in the lists take on Eric Raymonds position
here. I too think that multi-media support is critical, and that
desktop acceptance may be more rather than less important. At the very
least, this is an interesting read.

Peter