Jeffery Fernandez wrote:
On Sunday 31 December 2006 14:43, Basil Chupin wrote:
Jeffery Fernandez wrote:
On Sunday 31 December 2006 13:24, Sylvester Lykkehus wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
Jeffery Fernandez wrote:
-snip-
When I was using mandriva I was used to having my tmp folder within
my home directory. This way when I download a file which happens to
be a pdf and gets opened by an other application like kpdf, the file
gets stored in my ~/tmp folder than the systems tmp folder.
-snip-
It might help if you divulged which OS you are now using and which
browser you are using.

As far as I know browsers usually use a cache where everything you see
on your screen is first placed and then, if you decide to download it,
then it is downloaded to the directory you had specified when setting up
the browser.

Firefox for example puts everything into a cache (which is in your
~/home); so does konqueror - if you select that it uses a cache.

So, which browser are you talking about here?

Hi Basil,

I am using OpenSuse 10.2 and I am talking about both firefox and konqueror

So why didn't you say so in the first place? :-) .

Everything FF 'sees' goes into ~/home/<your-login-name>/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxx.default/Cache.

If you want to save anything using FF then you specify a specific directory otherwise it gets saved by default in your ~/home/<your-login-name> directory.

To specify which directory to use to save downloads, create a directory in your /home/<your-login-name> directory - as I mentioned, mine is 'Downloads' - then Edit/Preferences/Main/Downloads and select the directory you just created.

If you are viewing a PDF file then when you go to save it a menu 'pops up' asking you where you want to save the PDF file - and you will point it at the directory you just created above.

I don't use konqueror so cannot give equivalent steps to FF but I suspect from the *very* quick I gave it that there would be similarities between them (although I cannot imagine why you would want to use konqueror when there is FF :-) ).

Cheers.