Ysgrifennodd Tony Alfrey:
<snip /> But surely those who decide on such things as a Linux Standard Base could decide on a Standard Hardware Base, and vendors could be encouraged to advertise their products as Linux Standard Hardware Base compatible. Surely everyone at SuSE "knows" their own box; this could serve as a basis for a list of "known functional systems".

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but if I understand you correctly, my response is, "Eh??"

It's hard enough getting h/w manufacturers to consider Linux at all, never mind getting them to "advertise ... as LSB compatible".

I've used Linux now for about 10 years. As my queries here will testify I'm about as much use at admin tasks as a fish is at bicycling; however I've never had an insuperable problem with hardware except for an early DSL modem, and I solved that one by buying a router.

My current box had XP Home on it when purchased. I replaced this with XP Pro/SuSE 10.0. Neither installation took more than a few minutes. On the Linux side, the sound card worked out-of-the-box. On XP, I had to scour the internet for drivers since the proper drivers had been present in the original setup, which I'd erased to install XP.

Some of us are grown up enough to realise that occasionally there will be problems when we install a new OS on a given hardware configuration. This is true of any general purpose OS - which OS/X is not, because it is only built to work on a single configuration. We just do the best we can to get over it and get on with the rest of our lives.

If I've completely misunderstood the thrust of your argument, I apologise profusely and will add you to my list of people for whom I need to purchase beer.

:)

Peter