Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> On 2007-01-22 13:09, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> I don't know details about ReiserFS - this FS has been banned from all
>> our systems a long time ago. I know a bit about ext3 and xfs though.
>>
> Interesting. I'd be interested in knowing why, if you can share that
> information.

We have used ReiserFS when it became known and when it was available in
Linux distributions. However, at that time we faced lots of weird
problems that were caused by the filesystem (yes, these were problems
with the FS and not the hardware) and reiserfsck was not working very
well, i.e. if something went wrong, we had situation where reiserfsck
made things much worse instead of repairing the FS. We then decided that
this is certainly not a filesystem we would like to use in a production
environment. Since we usually have to deal with large systems (tens or
hundreds of TiB) and (very) large files, we decided to try xfs (which we
already knew from our SGI servers) - xfs was designed and optimized for
large filesystems and large files right from the beginning. It turned
out to be a very good decision and, thus, there was no need to come back
and try ReiserFS. On thin clients or laptops and/or dual-boot machines,
we are using ext3. It's a bit safer when it comes to losing data at
power cuts (which is due to the way the journalling works) - our
desktops have no UPS. Furthermore, there exist tools to access ext
partitions from Windows OS.

>> When the filesystem is marked as clean, then there is usually no need
>> to do an fsck or to replay the journal [...]
>>
> I thought you had to run fsck to determine if the filesystem is clean?

Sorry, that was misleading: when the filesystem is marked as clean, then
there is no need to run an entire filesystem check/recovery over the
whole partition or to replay the journal. That might be a better
phrasing. I hope you know what I mean.