J Sloan wrote:
> [...]
> Sorry, but that just sounds too bizarre to me - we've been using
> reiserfs in our data center for years, since it's the default filesystem
> on suse linux. It's been rock solid here, and is also the fastest
> journaling filesystem we've found.

Sorry, I am not interested in a thread about filesystems. Darryl asked
the question and I answered it. If ReiserFS works for you very well,
that's fine, I have no problems with that statement. We have done a lot
of testing quite some time ago and made bad experiences which is the
reason why we decided against ReiserFS - calling that bizarre just
because it doesn't conform to your own experiences is not very nice. In
our situation with big files and big filesystems, xfs does now a very
good job, so why should we change?

> I understand that reiserfs
> maintenance going forward may slow down, so we'll have to eventually
> settle on a different filesystem, but there's no reason to suddenly
> change all of our stable systems on a political whim.

Nobody said you should - where did you get that idea from? Darryl asked
why we don't use ReiserFS and I answered exactly that question. I don't
really care what you do and what filesystem you use - everybody has the
choice and that's a good thing. If you're happy with ReiserFS, fine!
We're happy with xfs.