On Jan 25, 07 22:25:39 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Matthias Hopf wrote:
> >With i386 you will only be able to access 3 or 3.5GB of your memory. At
> >least half a megabyte will be wasted. Background: The PCI cards have to
> >be mapped into the available 32bit address space.
> ----
>       Has anyone actually seen this first hand with any Intel processor
> with PAE?  I've never seen this and it doesn't sound right.  I have seen
> evidence to support the contrary: from /proc/meminfo on my (i386) system:

With PAE, this is a different story. Never had any Intel chip with
hardware PAE support (only Xenon processors had that), and the software
version of the P4 was too slow for me.

>       I noticed the 64-bit libraries are under a different path.  To
> switch to x86_64, shouldn't I be able to just install an x86_64 kernel
> initially then install/switch over apps at leisure?

This should work. But you will need several packages from the very
begining (module loading etc.) and the initial ramdisk has to be adapted
as well.

>       Well, I don't get more memory until I buy some -- since x86_64 takes
> slightly more memory, I'd have slightly less, "free", memory in the short
> term..., no?

No for AMD/P4, because you have 4GB instead of 3.5GB available ;)

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [EMAIL PROTECTED]