On Wednesday 31 January 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Nowhere did I claim, nor even hint, that «that speex and vorbis are not
> violating someone's patent». That's your saying.

That's exactly  my point.  I've read patent claims against those two formats
on the web in the past, as well as the patent claims for the encoding
algorithms used to
encode flac.

So it seems to me its unsafe to assume, merely because the current rush to ogg
is in vouge,
 that any real escape from this patent nonsense is possible.

As soon as the mp3 owners realizes that any significant portion of their
business has
left the station they will find ways to make claims against those other formats
as they
already do against aac.  All they need do is find something vaguely similar to
their
algorithms in speex.