* Charles R. Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [02-04-07 12:19]:
 [...]
> Why are there so many different installation technics? rpm, .run, tar.gz,
> .bin.

different strokes for different distros...  There are MANY different
distributions who think that their way is better.

> I mean right there on the website it tells you how to do it,
> followed the commands exactly, and it (shell program) says that the
> file/directory doesn't exist. Maybe (probably) I'm missing something
> here.

Definitely.  The first is to use rpms when using an rpm based system
which openSUSE is (unless you *really* know what you are doing).

> if the program is  "install-realplayer10gold.bin" for instance,
> The file is in /home/(username), I'm in the directory /home/(username),
> do a dir and the file is there, I issue the command(s) that is/are
> listed on the website for this program, what else am I suppose to be
> doing?

You are supposed to be using the RealPlayer rpm provided on your
openSUSE dvd/cd or from one of the openSUSE repositories.

> I su'd because that is required to install a program. hmmm?

usually.

HOG # US1244711         Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
        OpenSUSE Linux             http://en.opensuse.org/