On Sunday 04 February 2007 10:11, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Charles R. Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [02-04-07 12:19]:
>  [...]
>
> > Why are there so many different installation technics? rpm, .run, tar.gz,
> > .bin.
>
> different strokes for different distros...  There are MANY different
> distributions who think that their way is better.
>
> > I mean right there on the website it tells you how to do it,
> > followed the commands exactly, and it (shell program) says that the
> > file/directory doesn't exist. Maybe (probably) I'm missing something
> > here.
>
> Definitely.  The first is to use rpms when using an rpm based system
> which openSUSE is (unless you *really* know what you are doing).

So I should look to see if the file(s) are rpm first? If my memory serves me
correct, I remember one time it (the distro that was installed at the time)
gave me the choice to install using one of the system's programs. I'm not
certain if it was SuSe though.

> > if the program is  "install-realplayer10gold.bin" for instance,
> > The file is in /home/(username), I'm in the directory /home/(username),
> > do a dir and the file is there, I issue the command(s) that is/are
> > listed on the website for this program, what else am I suppose to be
> > doing?
>
> You are supposed to be using the RealPlayer rpm provided on your
> openSUSE dvd/cd or from one of the openSUSE repositories.

I was using Real Player as an example, but that's good info to know.  I wanted
to try out Thunderbird but couldn't get it to install. So I'm using KMail at
this time, which is serving the main purpose. I did manage to install the ati
driver package though. The scrolling is better, but not where it should be,
so I might still have some tweaking to do somewhere.