On Friday 16 February 2007 15:26, Peter Breger wrote:

> John,
>
> I am afraid that this is not it. The USRobotics router is a cable
> router, and connected via ethernet cable to the network card. No USB
> involved. Tested the hardware system with windows XP (bart PE) from CD -
> perfect, used it even before under win98. The only way it works in Linux
> Suse 10.1 is manually deleting the Network card config in Yast, running
> through the finishing sequence in Yast, then reconfigurating the network
> card with DHCP in Yast, running through the finishing sequence in Yast
> ---- then it works. After booting - no chance, again no connection.
> Tried both network manager and ifup = same behaviour.
>
> Searched through the boot sequence - yes, network is being connected
> etc, but cannot get the DHCP address collected.
> Question - in the boot sequence, what needs to be installed in what
> sequence to allow DHCP etc to be successfull i.e. if maybe one item is
> missing or starte din wrong sequence, then network detection, setup etc
> is not possible during boot.
>
> Any suggestions how to detect hickups in boot sequence? (Log file is not
> very revealing for me, other than to see that DHCP acquisition is not
> successful - which I know anyway).
>
> Peter
>
> PS I am posting thsi direct e-mail to the mailinglist in hope of
> re-establishing finally a working thread.

        You are setting the card to use DHCP, are you running a DHCP server on
your
Linux box or your router?
        Do you see any errors or warnings when yast is completing its run, or
in any
of the log files?
        How long are you waiting for the connection, can take some time
depending on
the speed of the computer or router?

        Mike