I was using my laptop (Suse10.2) and tried switching my microphone on
in alsamixer -- everything went quiet.  Now I have no sound other that
the beeps.  aplay says it is playing but silence.  Audacity says it is
playing and silence.
  I have done th eobvious -- nothing is muted in alsamnixer;
re-configured the sound card; rebooted the machien.  Powered it off,
waited and s=restarted -- and still silence.

I was using teh sound earlier in the day, and I NEED the sound to
teach my DSP class.  Any ideas of (a) what happened and more
importantly (b) how to restore sounds?

Machine is ThinkPadX40

==John ffitch