> Look, Mac, when a non-guru like my daughter or son-in-law runs into
> roadblocks like these, they don't have (and should not need) the expertise
> it takes to hammer out a command line workaround. The system should just
> work. No muss, no fuss, just work. And there are really important (to lots
> of folks) parts of Suse 10.2 that don't. At least they don't here
What's wrong with that?
All the above says is that some of the edges need to be smoothed. But it seems
that the development team has not addressed that and apparently there is an
attitude about it on this list and perhaps on some on the developers.  Yet a
simple indicator is the number of threads with similar content:update issues,
usb, smb, menu, etc. If these issues were addressed the same way the new kde
menu was, there would be a lot more happiness.

I don't know;  if only the "squeeky wheels" post to the list maybe
there are LOTS of people out there for whom it "just works".  For me
video/flash/java works perfectly,  on both my laptop and my
workstation.   Of course, it SHOULD work for everyone, but because it
doesn't work for some people doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone,
or even most people.

just walk to the next desk and pull the same pics, from the same shared linux
directory, thru her xp, WITHOUT so much as a hint of a requirement for a
pword or login!!! Yes, I have fixed that, BUT, that's not how the *default*
install was!!!

Did you file a bug report?

---
Adam Tauno Williams