Paul Abrahams wrote:
> I want to copy the contents of a partition from a disk drive on one machine
> a disk drive on another.  Within a single computer I can do this using the dd
> command, but it isn't clear how to use that command for networked data
> transfers.

You pipe it through some kind of network data transfer program.  ssh
should work, if you use the "-e none" flag to make it 8-bit clean.

Since "dd" defaults to stdin and stdout, something like this should work:

dd if=/dev/hda1 | ssh -e none [EMAIL PROTECTED] 'dd of=/dev/hda1'

This *should* copy hda1 on the current machine to hda1 on
"remotemachine".  I haven't tested it, but I do something very similar
with 'dump' to back up one machine to a dump file on another, and it's
always worked fine.  If you don't want the overhead of ssh, you might
want to investigate 'netcat'.