On 3/16/07, Paul Abrahams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I want to copy the contents of a partition from a disk drive on one machine to
a disk drive on another.  Within a single computer I can do this using the dd
command, but it isn't clear how to use that command for networked data
transfers.  I'm also wondering about doing the transfer using a USB cable,
which probably has a far higher data rate and doesn't have problems with
network traffic.

Since both machines are laptops, the strategy of physically moving one of the
drives to the other machine temporarily isn't feasible.

The partition in question is a Windows NTFS partition, and I want the target
partition to be bootable, as the source partition is.  That probably
precludes any strategy based on file-by-file transfers.  However, the
question is meaningful no matter what the partition type.

Any advice on either the hardware or software issues involved?

Paul

This is exactly what you need;
<http://digiassn.blogspot.com/2006/01/dd-over-netcat-for-cheap-ghost.html>

--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Even the most advanced equipment in the hands of the ignorant is just
a pile of scrap.