ka1ifq wrote:
> On Saturday 24 March 2007 13:34, David Brodbeck wrote:
>
>> Rajko M. wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Is there any bank that is asking for such identification for credit
>>> cards? There will be no so much problems with stolen identities if they
>>> would.
>>>
>> Fingerprint readers are not foolproof.  I remember reading an article
>> not long ago where some researchers took impressions of people's fingers
>> and made fake fingerprints out of gelatin.  They fooled several popular
>> fingerprint reading devices.  This worries me because fingerprint
>> technology effectively relies on a secret "password" that cannot be
>> changed.  If someone finds out your PIN, you can always change it.  If
>> someone steals your fingerprints, you're stuck.  Over-reliance on
>> biometrics may create more problems than it solves.
>>

>       This was done on a popular show "Mythbusters". They are not
> accomplished
> crooks but figured out how to do it in a short period of time. They did not
> reveal the information on how they managed to defeat the reader, but the
> manufacturer did claim it was foolproof, guess not. One way or another
> information on new technology gets leaked and it gets busted..

As I understand it all you need is super glue, a bit of plastic and a
glass with the targets dabs to get an impression. Transferring the
impression to a an object is a little more tricky. For more
sophisticated readers the object may need to heated to blood temperature.

Foolproof security is a bit like like the myth of the unsinkable ship.
Once human ingenuity (or incompetence)  enters the equation anything can
happen (and often does). :-)

> Mike

begin:vcard
fn:Graham T. Smith
n:Smith;Graham T.
adr:Barton upon Humber;;90 Bowmandale;;North Lincs.;DN18 5EA;UK
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;cell:07876793607
version:2.1
end:vcard