> I noticed that a few others mentioned the possibility of zmd being part of
> the
> cause. That may be - I tend to remove zmd as soon as possible as well after
> install, because I find it slow and tedious as well.

Just to add the other side to this for any lurkers;  I run, and use, and
like Beagle.  I also let ZMD run.  And I have no performance problems,
and neither of the machines are earth-shatteringly powerful.

Laptop: 1.4GHz Celeron M w/2Gb RAM
Workstation: 1.8GHz Pentium 4 w/1.2Gb RAM

Beagle works great,  once you get used to having it you won't want to be
without it.

Adam Tauno Williams
Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com