I haven't used Beagle so often, but I saw its real benefits when my wife
needed to analyse a CD with 1600 PDF files. I set it up in her laptop
(Pentium M) with a copy of the CD and I followed the indexing by
"searching" for a word typical for those files and watching the number
of hits grow. The indexing was basically done in half an hour and from
then on her searches were instantaneous.

On Thursday 29 March 2007 08:14, Peter Van Lone wrote:
> though I think there should be options to control WHEN the initial
> and on-going indexing occurs. Basically, we should easily be able to
> get to menus that let us control all aspects of both services.

I second that!
Although beagled-helper runs with nice of 15 (it is at zero now, but I
remember it was 15 when it was working) it still competes with other
resources. And on a laptop, you want to have complete control because
of the power usage too and maybe set the indexing when the laptop is
plugged in, in addition to a particular time.

Another thing I just noticed. My .beagle/ directory is 1.6GB!
Is this normal? Can the size of this cache be controlled?
(My home is ~40GB, ~15GB of that are pictures, sounds and binary data.)

Carlos FL