Hard drive failing perhaps ????
Any time I've experienced really weird issues it's been related to a
hard drive failing.

On 4/1/07, Hudibras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
El dom, 01-04-2007 a las 08:53 -0400, Jerry Feldman escribió:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 11:20:35 +0200
> Hudibras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm a SuSE Linux user since 1996-97, even a SuSE reseller from 1998 to
> > 2001, and I've never found a problem like this, never, even in cases
> > when I have done many "bad things" with it:
> >
> > Konqueror bookmarks disapeears from time to time; a html file created by
> > myself with all links visited every day disappears from time to time;
> > several gigs of jpg
> > and video files disappeared; and last I've discovered this
> > morning all my Tellico databases disappeared !!! That's incredible!
> >
> > I assure you I've done nothing so that this thing happens. My question
> > is, what's wrong with SuSE now?
> >
> > I'm using OpenSuSE 10.2, on x86_64 architecture; ext3 filesystem; KDE
> > and GNOME; kernel 2.6.20 from repositories. I don't know what to do, but
> > if this is the behaviour of SuSE now, I'll completely remove it, and
> > install another distro o even change to BSD.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, and I hope my poor English would be explicit enough
> > to understand this embarrasing thing.
> No problem with your language.

Oh, thanks.
And many more thanks for the answer.

> Just a comment, I have been using SuSE for quite a while, and I have
> never experienced a loss of data that I could blame on Linux.

Nor so do I!
I can even swear SuSE has always been the more stable and secure...
until a while. Look if I have done the most badly things (once I
installed one or two Mandrake packages , and it worked!), and it never
complained at all. No, no. The problem is now, not before (I insist on
it: never before).

> Have you checked the lost+found directories in each of your file

Yes, of course. They are all empty. There's no trace of them.

> systems. I am currently using 10.1 on my desktop and 10.2 on my 64-bit
> laptop.
>
> Can you elborate a bit more of how the files were lost:
> 1. Was it during an install?

No, no... the nearly thousand SuSE installations  I've done until now
(as I said before, I'm using SuSE from 1997 o 1998, at home or when
reselling SuSE), things were all right in every case.

> 2. Is it possible that your system was hacked?

Ha... It's quite impossible, but it never knows... I've traced a bit
over there and I didn't find anything.

> You really need to look at your logs to try to find out why things were
> deleted because I don't think the fault is with SuSE, the filesystem,

I wish the fault is not with SuSE!, but don't you think it's a bit
strange that only have disappeared music o video files, or even jpg?
Maybe the SGAE (Spanish Association for Author's Copyright, I hope you
know what I mean) got "mariachis" hacking machines over internet? It's
also funny to see that three of five exports to html I made with my
Tellico databases, were really what disappeared... the other two are
still there, in their actual directory.

No, I don't think a hacker was on my machine, though I understand.

And what about my html file containing only links to SuSE repositories,
kde-look, gnome-look; some links to directories of my own, etc. That's
it, nothing important, files that hackers don't hesitate to remove them.
If so, they would be the most silly hackers in the world!

I suspect something about rights and so on.

> or the 2.6.20 kernel.

I hope so.

> Additionally, boot the system into single-user mode and manually run
> fsck (e2fsck) in non-destructive mode on each of your file systems.

That's the only thing left me. I'll do it soon.

So isn't there anybody here experienced a lost of files in a mysterious
way?
Is there ghosts in SuSE now?
Really If I find something "strange", I will be the first true fan of
SuSE removing it for ever.

Bye, regards and thank you very much indeed,
I will be looking forward your answer.

Alejandro.