On Monday 02 April 2007 18:47, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Doug McGarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [01-01-70 11:34]:
> > HP 970Cxi, SuSE 9.3.  Printer stopped printing after it ran out of paper.
> > Yes, of course it has paper in it now.  I have 2 of these printers, and
> > neither one will print anymore, altho when I  exchanged them, the system
> > said "Found new hardware, do you want to configure it?" So I did, and it
> > printed a test page.  But now I can't seem to get back into the
> > configuration, which must have some sort of problem, and the
> > d....d Linux wants to open a wallet, whatever that means, and it
> > wants a user name and a password, neither of which I know.  (I never set
> > up any wallet, or any password for that, as far as I recall.) This
> > printer is connected via USB. Now what?
>
> you don't say which versin of cups (? <1.2) or openSUSE, but if cups
> is less than 1.2, try:  /usr/bin/enable <cups-printer-name>

I tried that, and was rewarded with "Password for doug on localhost?"
I don't know what password it wants.  I have tried all the passwords that I
normally would use, and none of them work.   Then it says:

enable: Operation failed: client-error-not-authorized

I don't know how to determine which version of CUPS is in use.  Whatever
came with Suse 9.3, I assume, unless YaST updated it along the way.