Hi guys,

How are you keeping ?

I have three Opensuse 10.2 x86_64 installations running on separate
HP-ML370G4/5 servers (Dual Xeon).

Both systems have 4gigs of RAM each.

On these systems I'm running Asterisk which provides telephony for a 100
seat call center.

The conversations that are recorded by Asterisk are recorded to
/var/spool/asterisk/monitor which is a tmpfs/shm file system and configured
as follows in my /etc/fstab:

shm          /var/spool/asterisk/monitor        tmpfs   defaults        0 0

On a daily basis each of these servers will 'dead lock' i.e. completely
freeze. When this happens the servers do not respond to the keyboard or even
'ping'.

I've also experienced the same problem on a totally different non HP custom
built server running the same OS (OpenSuse 10.2).

If I disable the RAM disk and record the conversation straight to hard disk
then everything is fine - the servers do not lock up. Unfortunately I have
to use the RAM disk due to performance issues with writing the recordings
straight to disk.

I have a script that runs every minute that moves the completed recordings
from RAM disk to hard disk, so it's not getting too full.

Any ideas where my problem could lie or how I can enable some type of RAM
disk debugging to find out where things are going wrong ?

Thanks in advance !

Kind regards

David Wilson
D c D a t a