Dear list

Recently I need to start a small project to distribute about 100GB
megabytes of audio files to local university campus. I'd like to post my
requirement hoping I can get some insightful recommendation on what
software/technology to use to distribute these files.

     1. It must be accessible from Windows linearly (e.g. FTP protocol),
        better also random access from Windows is also supported (e.g.
        samba). We must not require Windows user to install for-fee
        software in order to get the content.
     2. It must be accessible from Linux randomly, with no client side
        tool (e.g. nfs) or free (as in beer) client side tool.
     3. Both Linux and Windows user should be able to batch-download,
        e.g. download a whole folder and its sub-folders;
     4. It must stand relatively heavy load;
     5. It better can provide user a search feature so that user can
        search with keyword in file name, or even better, in mp3/ogg
        tag.
     6. It better handle character-set difference in nice manner. e.g.
        HTTP can handle character-set difference because charset info is
        in HTTP header and charset conversion is done automatically; FTP
        cannot handle character-set difference in very nice manner, user
        have to configure their FTP client to do charset conversion, and
        most Windows FTP client software I know of do not support
        charset conversion.

I am thinking about possible solutions:

     1. FTP -> can handle heavy load, can do bath upload, not
        random-accessible, auto-charset conversion not supported;
     2. apache -> batch download not easy for users, handle charset
        conversion nicely, not random access
     3. NFS -> I don't know any free-as-in-beer Windows client software
        for it and I don't know if that client software can do charset
        conversion; for Linux clients it's perfect;
     4. Samba -> I don't know if charset conversion is easy with it. If
        a SuSE client connects to it, can suse client select which
        charset to use without forcing user to use commandline? And how
        about windows, can windows connect to the samba share and do
        charset conversion automatically?
     5. DC++ -> looks very nice for charset conversion, I also tried it,
        nice. But I don't know if there are Linux server-end software.
        Need to check.

I am thinking perhaps combine two solutions together might be the best,
e.g. setting up FTP server for Windows users and set up NFS server for
Linux users. Still I am not sure what's the best solution, and there
might be better solutions than what I listed that I never heard of.

* In all above discussion "charset conversion" means charset conversion
for file names, not the content. Content is in mp3/ogg format.

Thanks for any comments!

--
Zhang Weiwu
Real Softservice