On Monday 09 April 2007 16:31, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> If you're new to Unix/Linux, and you don't actually _need_VI, then use
> something friendly like MC, or pico, or joe.  There's a whole text-book on
> VI, and this is not a user-friendly thing, and neither is EMACS, altho the
> old Unix hands will tell you it's the only way.  It's not.  If you never
> expect to use a real Unix system, fageddaboudit!
>
> (I've probably started a flame war here, but if you investigate for
> yourself, you'll find that I'm right.)
>
> --doug
        Well... I'm just incensed here...   :-P

        ... first off, if you're new to unix, the very first thing you *must*
learn
is vi, period, end of story. So, just pull out the info or man pages and get
cracking... you *will* need it before you grow up so just bite the bullet and
learn it... ok?... ok.

        Second, emacs sux.

        Third, well... go back to my first point.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><