Probably a n00b question this but I'll ask anyway:

I've a PC at home that myself, my wife and son use, it runs Windows XP.

Due to endless problems with ad-ware n viruses that no removal software can
detect forcing me to re-install I've decided that enough is enough and that
my next machine will be SUSE only rather than dual booting.

I'm happy that most of my apps now have equivalents in Linux (I play with
keyboards n sequencers and there's been some great progress on that front)
and use consoles for games.

However there is one stumbling block I'm not sure about.

I often download large files that can take days to complete, using BitTorrent
or news groups.

On my MS machine I can log off and leave these programs running so that the
other users can use their desktops and check their mail etc.

Now leaving a non-X application running when you log off is fine, but how
would you do this with an X based program?

I know I could use command line based applications but that's less desirable.

I spend all day with Linux servers my knowledge of it's desktop is limited by
comparison!

Cheers

Matthew