M Harris wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2007 11:13, Russell Jones wrote:
>
>> There are far more important criteria for choosing a distribution than
>> how nicey-nicey people are.
>>
>       This is very true ...
>
>       ... and very wrong.
>
>       At this point in time the openSUSE distro is "better" for several
> technical
> reasons than Ubuntu (I have objectively compared both and the
> state-of-the-art definitely favors openSUSE at this point in time) however,
> the Ubuntu "community" is bending over backwards to make "people" feel warm
> and fuzzy all over to get them to consider switching over (yes to FOSS) from
> M$ to Linux.  "People" feel good about Ubuntu... is it the best distro? NO.
> Is it the number (1) ONE distro... Yes.  (you do the math)
>
>       Fred's point is very helpful, if you can get past your arrogance long
> enough
> to get your head (and heart) around it.

a) this is not Millers point he is quoting from another source, and b)
using Distrowatch.com figures, although it has the most hits Ubantu is
far from dominant (though I would personally regard the raw statistics
as a little iffy). When people start talking about A being better than B
it is is a fairly pointless conversation without a context, i A being
better than B at task 1 is more useful.

I think you are also missing Russells point somewhat. (Maybe it is
difference of culture on both sides of the Atlantic pond). There is a
distinction between touchy, feely, niceness and basic polite courtesy,
the former is usually artificial (and usually sets my teeth on edge
because at best I would interpret this as patronising ), the latter at
least gives the recipient some initial respect . (BTW polite does not
mean nice, I was had the responsibility for giving support for a group
described by one my senior managers as one most politely vicious bunches
of people he had ever met).

As a criterion for making a technical decision how nice the people you
are dealing with is very poor, what is more important whether can you
trust them to deliver. In the I.T. world , the more time you spend
dealing with recalcitrant piles of silicon and metal, and either the
drivers or owners of said piles, or trying to make the things do
something sensible, or both ... the crankier one is likely to become.
Therefore there is a strong case for arguing the reverse,  i.e. the
more  cantankerous an I.T related  community is, the more likely they
are to know what they are talking about.  :-)  (Present virtual company
excepted .. of course :-! )