On Sun, 22 Apr 2007, John Pierce wrote:
> > If your system is unstable, I'd diagnose the problem, probably
> > hardware-related in this case, before a protracted file system
> > conversion that is unlikely to yield any improvement.
> >
> Only powering off the machine would bring it back.  I have not seen
> anything in the logs to indicate a problem.

Generally lockups are caused by hardware problems and are either heat, power
or memory related.

I suggest you run the memtest86 for at least 1 day and see if there are any
errors show up. Also check your power supply and the CPU temp when the system
locks up. Intermittent hardware problems can be very hard to diagnose.

--
Regards,

Graham Smith