On Wednesday 02 May 2007, peter nikolic wrote:
> On Thursday 03 May 2007, Bob S wrote:

> I go to a customers site  turn on the laptop and hey presto i am stuck
> there not able to use it because ext3 has deciede it needs to do an fsck oj
> the filing system now it only an 80Gb drive in a 64 bit machine

Quite true.  I've had this happen to me on a 160 gig drive which
was quite full.  It took forever.

I went back to reiserfs.

All the stories about the beauty of "Open Source" were proven wrong
by Suse's dropping Reiserfs because a) nobody was maintaining it, and
b) hans got thrown in the slammer, and c) it doesn't "scale well".

The fact that it was good enough for 5 generations of Suse before they
decided to revert to something clearly inferior on the weight of three
lame excuses seems to fall on deaf ears.

Reiserfs has been rock stable for me for years, I've never lost any
data with it, but I have with ext2 and fully expect to with ext3.