On Thu, 3 May 2007 08:50:07 +0100
peter nikolic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I go to a customers site  turn on the laptop and hey presto i am stuck there
> not able to use it because ext3 has deciede it needs to do an fsck oj the
> filing system now it only an 80Gb drive in a 64 bit machine but when you are
> waiting to use the machine for something reasonably important it is the
> absolute pitts and not a good advert for linux at all .
On the surface, I agree with you. But, that is a configurable parameter
you can change with tune2fs(8). The command 'tune2fs -c -1 /dev/hda1'
will turn off the max-counts for that partition. The -i option is a
time interval. All file systems should be checked periodically.
Normally, ext2/ext3 systems set the max count interval by default.
There is no corresponding way for reiserfs to force an fsck, but there
is a reiserfstune(8) utility, but that is a bit different.

There is a lot of data available on the Internet that compares the
various file systems available to Linux (ext3, reiserfs, XFS and JFS).

--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group