On Saturday 2007-05-12 20:51, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
> > My guess is that those on the SUSE payroll have a portion of their job
> > performance officially measured by how many bugs assigned to them remain
> > open and how long they stay open while assigned to them, which would make
> > it in their own personal best interest to get rid of them as quickly as
> > possible by any method possible, regardless of best interest to the
> > distro
>
> Every place that I've worked, there has never been a motivation to
> dispose of trouble-tickets by "any method possible" because IMPROPERLY
> closed tickets bring negative attention from managment.

Lucky you.  I have worked at worse places where the culture imposed by
management encouraged rapid disposal of trouble reports by any means
possible.  You just had to remind me of this.  I thought I had successfully
repressed these memories.

At one place there was a manager who was an exceptionally nasty piece of work.
She was entirely nontechnical and non IT -- her previous management
experience was directing an assembly line for Nike sport shoes.  She managed
the software development process for failure, I think intentionally.  The
worse things got the more people she could justify hiring in her deparment
and the more defacto control she had over the company.

She had this bizarre belief that every problem could (SHOULD! WOULD!) be fixed
in two days.  Typo in an SQL script?  Two days to fix.  Object class for
messages between the server and data collection client needs to be revised
from the top down?  Two days to fix.

While her division foundered under the weight of over a couple dozen
developers and QA testers six of us in the unix development department were
making payroll for the entire company.  Of course, you can guess which group
was actually viewed as important. So when the company neglected to pursue
further development contracts for the unix products we were transferred to
HER barnyard.  I saw people repeatedly fix problems by causing other bugs
which were then fixed later by reinstating the original bug.  It was horrible
to watch.  Everyone from the original unix development shop left in the space
of a couple months.

Now I need to restart my visits to the  therapist.