My new laptop (HP/Compaq nw9440) runs SUSE 10.2 exclusively. I do have
vmware and cxoffice for wintendo apps but no specific partition. My
only partitions are root, home and swap.

My company has a new policy coming into effect, requiring all mobile
devices have encryption built in. Though not entirely defined yet, I
thought I'd get a jump on the process and encrypt my laptop. Good idea
to do so, because I have source code, internal documents and whatnot
there.

I googled and found two articles on encryption, one of which is SUSE
specific.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7743

http://en.opensuse.org/Encrypted_Root_File_System_with_SUSE_HOWTO

Both of them seem to point to creating the partition as encrypted. In
fact, the opensuse article discusses creating several partitions then
moving stuff to the encrypted one. :P

As I have my lapppie already built up and stuffed with important
software (TuxCart, Amarok, Kaffeine, Ardour, iLives) and entertainment
software (Netbeans, Visio, VMWare/XP) I don't want to re format if not
necessary.

Any way I can go about encrypting without destrying the partitions?