On Wed, June 6, 2007 9:07 pm, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 21:55 -0500, Peter Van Lone wrote:
>> On 6/6/07, Mike McMullin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > umount -d /mnt/mountiso
>> > mount -o loop $1.iso /mnt/mountiso
>> >
>> >   I have this script, Kai, it works rather well for me.
>>
>> Mike, a couple things here that confuse me:
>>
>> 1)Kai wanted something that could mount an ISO from the GUI ... I
>> suppose if you create a launcher/icon for this script, that could
>> work. But, then it still requires root rights, correct? (this was
>> something else Kai wanted, was not to require root.
>
>   IIRC Kai does know something of programming.  ;)

Nah, I'm a division manager in charge of programmers.

I know nothing of programming any more. All previous knowledge is
being sucked out of my head.

> Of course, one
> could
> right click on the .iso file and use the open with ... and then invoke
> the script, but there ought to be a conflict resolving the name due to
> the extension.  I know that I had a reason for forcing ?.iso, but
> don't
> off-hand recall what it was.

Not bad. Thanks. I'll download it from your original email and run it.
I don't suppose I could have it prompt me for a filename through the
GUI?

>> 2)Your script looks to be using a variable for the .iso filename (I
>> assume that is what the $ infront of the 1.iso means)? How does that
>> work ... should a user be prompted for the path/filename of the iso?
>> Or is it something like, if you put your iso in the same directory
>> as
>> the script, then it just finds the iso?
>
>   Yeah the %1 takes a parameter passed to the script (the first one
> actually) and assumes that it is the name of the iso file to be
> mounted
> less it's extension.  This script is actually located in the /usr/bin
> directory and is invokable by any user on the system (+x has been
> set).
> As far as invoking it from the CLI, a path to the file is only
> required
> when the script is invoked from a directory other than the one that
> the .iso is located in, yes it will have to find the .iso.

No biggie. Just wanted something quick and dirty.

I'll give it a try.

I appreciate all the responses. It is nice to see that there is more
than one way to tackle this item!