Guys lets not forget that encrypting a partition is only protecting
data when the computer is turned off i.e. none can just start it and
read my stuff, when it is on the partition is mounted with your
password for you to use it. When that happens whether it is /home,
/var or /srv it does not matter if someone can break into your system
becuase it is on the net they will have access to all of that and they
would not even know or care that it is encrypted.

Another thing, for me at least, is the importance of being able to
boot even if I lost/forgot etc my password so encrypting just home
works fine.