Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Wednesday 2007-06-13 at 23:49 -0800, John Andersen wrote:
>
> > Another roaring success story.  Gad what a hopelessly
> > complex and expensive network.  The sad part is they
> > "invented" it while the unix world was happily running
> > TCP/IP.
>
> Token ring was invented in 1960, tcp/ip in the 70's.

Actually, TCP, not including IP predates token ring by almost a decade.
The oldest computer network technology that I've worked on is the TDM
loops used with the Collins line of computers.  These computers were MIL
spec versions of  IBM gear and were networked back in the mid '60.  The
networks used time slots, instead of packets to share the cable.  The
original "TDM" system ran at 2 Mb/s and the later "TDX" loop was 8
Mb/s.  The network was connected in a ring or loop.  The network used
relays to connect devices, such as CPU, tape and disk drives, card
readers etc. to the loop.  In TDX systems, high speed devices, such as
the CPU, tape and disk drives were connected directly to the TDX loop.
Lower speed devices were connected to the TDM loop, which in turn,
connected to the TDX loop via an interface box.  There was also a "loop
sync" box, which maintained loop syncronization.

Here's a picture of what is in fact the 8401 model of the Collins
system, even though it says 8500C.  The "CN" referred to in the picture
is for Canadian National Railways.  I started my career working for
their telecommunications division about 35 years ago and work on the
8500C, though occasionally did minor work on the 8500B, along with many
other mini-computer types.  That picture would have been taken in the
office I worked in, but I don't recognize the person in the picture.