This is the nub of the problem. I don't think my system is behaving as
expected and although I doubted myself, I'm beginning to believe there
is bug somewhere other than the user!

Before attach USB HDD

ls /dev/evms/sd*
ls: cannot access /dev/evms/sd*: No such file or directory

ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sda2  /dev/sda3  /dev/sda5  /dev/sda6  /dev/sda7

After attach USB HDD

ls /dev/evms/sd*
/dev/evms/sdb

ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sda2  /dev/sda3  /dev/sda5  /dev/sda6  /dev/sda7
/dev/sdb

So the device used for external drive is /dev/sdb - but:

fdisk /dev/sdb
Unable to read /dev/sdb

In YAST, I can see a line /dev/evms/sdb. However, when click on create
(with sdb line selected or not, it makes no difference), it does not
give me an radio button option for /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, but goes
straight to "Create a Primary Partition on /dev/sda".

Now, the log says "SCSI error: return code = 0x10070000". When I google
this string, its a known probelm that to me looks like a kernel error.
It is clearly seen that the device is recognized and that it reads the
basic information of the drive, but cannot access it further.

Still puzzled...