On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, James Knott wrote:-

>Bob Kline wrote:
>> Mohammad Bhuyan wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I am not an expert but I was thinking if the following should work
>>>
>>> 1. To be on the safe side get out of x (ex: init 3) ....
>>
>> Wouldn't it be even safer to boot from a live CD?
>>

>As long as only root is logged in, init 3 is fine.

You can't guarantee that other users won't log in while you're busy
doing the changes while in runlevel 3 or 5. Dropping into runlevel 2 is
safer as there is no networking enabled, in theory other users could
still be logged in on the other consoles, but they'd need to have
physical access to do so.

Using runlevel 1 is the safest option, as only one user can log in at a
time, and it's going to be hard for someone to try logging in while
you're busy using the keyboard.

Regards,
        David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
RISCOS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit