* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [06-19-07 18:18]:
> Patrick, my filesystem had enough space. Failing drives has crossed my
> mind. I have in fact had this problem on three very different systems
> now, so no drive failures I guess. As Carl seems to suggest, and the
> fact is, I have been using different FS's on these maschines since
> OpenSUSE changed to the default ext3. I just wanted to test them all.
> I will have to change all to one system I think. Is there a way to
> convert xfs & reiser to ext3 or the other way around?

don't know much about converters.  I would format a temporary area and
store files while reformatting the original area to whichever format
you decide is best for you.

There are many opinions and you know about opinions   :^)

> Which filesystem is best to use nowadays? I have many small files, so
> which is better and most stable?

I got bitten by reiser some years ago and ....  I use ext3 now and
will switch to ext4 when it is available.

> Is reiserfs still recommendable?  It has not given me problems before.
> Why has OpenSUSE gone away from reiserfs as default?

I believe that support for v3 is lacking and v4 is not ready ??

I have nearly 1.5 TB in 7 hard drives of various sizes and seldom
reboot.  I have had *no* (fingers crossed) problems with ext3 in the
last three years.  I'm an *old* horse and hesitate to change  :^)

gud luk